Thursday, June 12, 2008

Garden Bunny Handpainted Porcelain

I love making tiny plates. Something about a miniature version of an object is very appealing to me. I've made plates with handpainted rabbits before, and this one is the same size. On this one, though, the bunny is painted in a more detailed manner and I added a potted plant to tempt him.
You can see how small this little plate really is in comparison to my hand. It was a challenge to paint it in underglazes (on unfired clay), because underglazes in the unfired state are a different color, in most cases, than after firing. This meant I didn't really know exactly what I would get when it came out of the kiln. The clear glaze I put on top of the underglazes after the first firing really brought out the color.

Another challenge in making these small plates is making a nice, round plate, with no warping. I make all my plates from a slab that is slumped into a form, not thrown on the wheel. I have to dry my plates carefully so they stay perfectly round. Sometimes, they get a little wonky - but that's part of the handmade charm, I think.

I have this plate listed in our Etsy shop, Fireluster Pottery. This little plate would be nice to use as a place to hold your rings or other small treasures next to your sink or on your bedside table. It's also a perfect gift for someone who collects rabbits or miniatures.

3 comments:

SoapWithBalls said...

Very nice, reminds me of a set I had a a small child.

My great gran did porcelain, dolls & tableware, for over 40 yrs & she taught my mom.
I 've never tried.

T.Allen said...

How sweet, there really is something about miniatures, yes? And to think they really do pose a challenge creatively;you must have lots of control. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

very nice brushwork!
would look fabulous on a children's tea or luncheon set! ...a la bunnikins. ..don't you think?