Monday, July 14, 2008

You Cant Go Home Again



Here's a picture of one of the houses I grew up in. It's in Wellfleet, Massachusettes (Cape Cod), right in the town center (kitty corner from the post office, if you know where that is). Anyway, we called the tiny road the house was on "Wicked Road" because of the windy, potholed, dark and shady nature of that lane. One day I want to have a shop or write a book called, The House on Old Wicked Road.


It looks pretty beat up in this photo, but it was a big, fun old victorian house to knock around in. We lived there in the 70's. Mom took this picture a year or so ago when she went back to Cape Cod for a vacation.


This is a picture of my sister Audrey posed by the famous dingy that greets visitors to downtown Wellfleet. "Downtown" is a bit of a misnomer, because it's mostly Main Street and a couple of side streets and that's it. It was an idyllic place to grow up, though. I remember on this corner Audrey and I encountered three baby raccoons, just hanging around the sidewalk. Yes, it was weird, and we played with them for about a half an hour.




Wellfleet is a very cute town; very historic and quaint. I lived there in the 1970's and 1980's, until I left home. I'd love to go back for a visit, but I think I might be disappointed in the changes. I remember little things like walking to the Newsrack and buying penny candy, and sitting on the bench on the lawn in front of town hall. It was a really charming place to grow up.

This is another house we lived in. This is right on Main Street in Wellfleet. When I lived here, there was a covered porch, but it's since been restored back to the original. My room was in the upper left window. This was a really nice location and an awesome house. The sign to the left that says 'Dead End' is for a road that goes along the house, down a hill to a pond we used to ice skate on. Very fun!!

3 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

I think that would be a fantastic name for a book!

Cecilia said...

I discovered your blog through Sister Mary Martha.

I spent time on Cape Cod years ago. These photos and reminiscinces make me homesick for it.

Thank you.

Pax, C.

Anonymous said...

What great houses.. so full of character. Thanks for sharing them. Its so nice to see where people come from.

I can almost smell the salt air, looking at your photos. New England.. where the ocean smells like it should. lol Its so much different on the Gulf Coast, isn't it?